Suggest treatment for gluteal decubitus caused after prolonged sitting

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I broke my leg two weeks ago and have been mostly immobile, sitting for hours each day on the sofa. After a week of sitting I developed a red blistered area at the top of my butt cheeks (natal cleft?) that is mildly painful. It appeared one day, and within 24 hours doubled in size and got 'bumpy' with white-ish blister tops. I cleaned the area with peroxide and water and began applying neosporin triple antibiotic ointment, but in 2 days, it hasn't gotten significantly better. It's still red and crusty (the white tops are gone, but the blisters are now 'open') and it's still uncomfortable when I'm seated. Two weeks before I broke my leg I had a urinary tract infection which I would have considered 'cured'. What is this rash? Is it connected to the UTI? Should I see a doctor or give the rash / blister more time to heal?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi and welcome to hcm Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. It seems like you developed gluteal decubitus which is commonly seen after prolonged sitting,laying and after surgical procedures. It happens due to pressure on skin and decreased circulation in pressed areas. Usually doctors recommend to avoid long sitting and to put some soft material under parts if body which are most sensitive to decubitus formation. These are sacrum,gluteus,heels and lumbar part. Now,it seems like decubitus already developed and in your case there is bulosus skin changes and inflammation. You need to apply antibiotic oinments,mild steroid creams,and if there is significant infection you may need systemic antibiotics. But it is most important to avoid pressure on this area so you need to change your positions in bed as much as you can. wish you good health.feel free to ask. Regards