Suggest treatment for glial tumors in brain

Hi my name is XXXXXXX and I am 55 years old. I was dx with a olgodendroglioma grade 2. Ki-67 shows less than 1% positivity. I have deleation of 1p and 19q. I had a total rescection done and the neurosurgeon wants me to have radiation therapy to make sure tumor is completely gone. I was told not to have gama knife but to have low dose xrt but my oncologist feels I should just have the po chemo pill and no radiation. I am confused and want to know what you think. I have no defecits and I am returning to work as a RN Tuesday. An radiation oncolgist stated he would have 20 to 25 low dose treamtments and no chemo. If chromosomes will respond to radiation and chemo why not have something to prevent it from coming back. If I have the low dose xrt 40 gry will I have a reccurent tumor? No one has any straight answers. Some Physcians state I should do nothing but wait and watch and others say to have radiation to kill all the tumor for possible cure. Others state to have chemo only. I just want to live and not have a tumor return. Please help me understand. forgot to say it was a right frontal lobe and i was in sugery for 2 hours ICU for 1/2 day and step down one day and d/c to hotel where Dr was at for one day and flew home next day. They have stopped the steroids and I am on Keppra 500 mg bid. I never had a seizure.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Radiotherapy is good Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Tumors in the brain specially glial tumors show better response to the radiation than to the chemo. I would recommend the same as the recurrence rate is low with radiation compared to chemo. Also the side effect profile of chemo is much worse compared to the radiotherapy. The efficacy of low dose radiotherapy is not compromised. Well divided and spaced doses would work with good results. Hope, I answered your query. Regards,