Suggest treatment for gastritis

i am over weight 96.5kg (168cm height) Many days i wake up feeling hungry, feeling tired and am not rested properly. i do take enough food during the night. i am suffering from acidity problem. i feel better when i take sucrafil-o-gel (syrup), but in spite of that the above problem persists, the problem becomes severe if i don't snack in the evening and directly take dinner and go to sleep plz suggest me a slution
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acidity Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. It seems that you are having a chronic problem of gastritis. For such patients visiting my OPD, I generally prescribe them anti acids such as rabeprazole or pantoprazole for 2-3 months daily on empty stomach. Along with that I also prescribe them bland diet for a few months with restriction in intake of coffee, alcohol and tea. Regarding the overweight and tiredness, there is a possibility that you may be having a depression leading to gastritis, tiredness, disturbed sleep and over weight. It needs to be taken care of. For my patients I prefer Bupropion in such cases which is weight neutral anti depressant. It has to be taken for 10-12 months to take care of depression. Further I would advise you to get Polysomnography done. It is a sleep study to identify if you have any Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. OSA can lead to all the symptoms that you have stated and this occurs cause of insufficient oxygen reaching the brain. There are some machine such as Bi PAP which if applied over night during sleep will take care of this trouble. The best way to reduce weight is by exercising. You need to exercise daily to reduce weight and aerobic exercises are the best. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for gastritis 1 hour later
Sir what ever food i take, after 2hours i start feeling hungry, if i don't take food for another 1 or 1 1/2hour, i will feel extreme acidity and if this happens in the evening that's nights sleep is for sure worsened. My feeling is, the same thing is happening during the night and there is no food left in by body to give energy to by body, few hours after i sleep. Sir i do regular pranayam in the morning and occasional walking (2 to 3 days a week) in the evening. As part of pranayam i am doing Ujjayi pranayam for the past few years, this pranayam is touted be a solution for Sleep Apnea. When i wake up tired and hungry, i feel the problem more in the stomach and intestines and that acidic feeling is there in the morning. i take venlaflaxin, escotalopam tabs for my depression i have elaborated my problem, sir if u can suggest anything else from additional information i will be thankful
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Details Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up information. Venlafaxine and escitalopram should be good for depression. Ones you have food, they body is not depleted of energy in two hours. Its mostly the acidity that is causing those stomach sensations. There has to be a good control of acidity. You need to take anti acid treatment for a few weeks atleast to have its good effect. Regarding exercise, pranayam is good. But its better if you do some aerobic exercises. Polysomnography should still be tried ones. it may identify if you have any sleep apnoea. Manytimes sleep apnoea may itself lead to depression, weight gain and non-refreshing sleep. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD