Suggest treatment for ganglions cysts om wrist

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have been to the doctor with a lump on the non-thumb side of my wrist having pain when lifting and pulling. The x-ray showed that the ulna on that side was flattened somewhat on one side. An mri showed the presence of 4 ganglions cysts that one being the largest 12mm. My doctor still wants me to go for further tests and hasn't helped with the pain at all! I am beyond flustrated since I have been seeking help for over a month now. Should I just get a second opinion?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you can take expert opinion from specialist. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case with diligence. Cystic lesions are usually benign and surgical excision is definitive treatment. As you have multiple cyst decision should be take by your treating doctor regarding plan of treatment. Yes you can take expert opinion from specialist who deals more with wrist joint disorder. I will advise routine blood investigation medication like anti-inflammatory Biopsy can be done when some malignancy is suspected, if blood investigation lead towards malignancy then biopsy can be done, but before that bone scan can be done which will give extent of lesion. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for ganglions cysts om wrist 13 minutes later
So the flattened place on the ulna is a lesion? Could it have been caused by the ganglion? I also forgot to say I have driven a school bus with a manual opening door for 33 years, just got the air door.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello Comment about lesion can only be made if I see clinically and MRI picture. I can help you better if you can post MRI film and clinical photo. Possibility of ganglion is more. This can be due to excessive work by hand and wrist. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.