Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin

Extremely malodorous, moist and red irritation in groin. Upper inside thighs and folds and under testicles. Halobetasol propionate seems to be Dr.'s answer to all skin issues lately. It is a temporary fix and I wasn't told what exactly the issue is.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinea cruris et corporis Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to XXXXXXX I have read your query and understood your concern. It seems you are suffering from a skin condition known as TINEA CRURIS et CORPORIS. It is fungal infection of skin involving usually groin area, upper thigh and area around it. It is characterised by red colored itchy rash which gets only temporarily relieved by steroids like halobetasol, which is not the correct treatment for such infection. I usually prescribe antifungals like oral fluconazole or terbinafine along with topical creams containing antifungals also to be applied over the lesions twice daily. For symptomatic relief, antihistaminics may be added like levocetrizine and allegra. I will highly advice you to stop applying halobetasol cream. It only exacerbates the infection . Additionally i also advice my patients to wash and change the clothes daily. I hope i am able to solve your query. If you have further query, you may ask me. Thanx. Stay healthy.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the groin 54 minutes later
Thank you. Which topical creams might you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: terbinafine/sertaconazole/miconazole Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome again. I usually prescribe antifungal cream containing terbinafine/ sertaconazole/miconazole. All are very effective in treatment of fungal infection. These need to be applied twice daily over the lesions. In groin folds, i also recommend to apply clotrimazole containing dusting powders 2-3 times a day. Keep the part clean and dry . This is my best advice for you. If you have further queries, you may ask me. Else, kindly close the discussion and rate it.