Suggest treatment for freckles and acne scars on face

Jan 2014

I had some freckles and acne scars on my face..I consuted Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ,dermatologist here in Healthcare Magic..he suggested me to use hydroquinone based cream.I used Melanorm -MS and also applied a good sunscreen lotion.I must say,my skin has become far fact freckles are almost vanished and acne scars are getting lighter day by skin has become very glowing and bright..It's been almost 20 days I am applying it..But now I am afraid that if I stop using it,my freckles will appear again..I've heard that these bleaching creams work only as long as we apply them..Is it true? Are there any chances of my freckles to reappear if I discontinue the use of this cream..Please suggest what should I do to carry on with such improved skin?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sunscreen+skin lightening creams for regular use Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM Your concern is genuine. Freckles are genetically determined. They can reappear if you come off skin lightening creams and sun protection(sunscreen). Therefore you need to use a skin lightening cream regularly as well as a broad spectrum sunscreen throughout the day. Apart from your concern regarding reappearance of freckles on stopping Melanorm-MS cream there is one more issue which i want to highlight. Melanorm-MS cream that you have been using, though is a gold standard for hyperpigmentary conditions, but it should never be used for a longer duration(say may be more than a month or two). It is used only for the initial 1-2 months of therapy and then switched over to other products which are safer and thus can be used over longer run. The reason I say this is that it is a combination of a potent steroid, Mometasone+Hydroquinone+tretinoin. Mometasone is a potent steroid which if use for long term can cause side effects like Bleaching of Skin, Acne, Photosensitivity, Skin thinning/telangiactasia and Facial hair growth (specially worrisome in females). You could have used a cream containing just plain hydroquinone(2% or 5%) as suggested by Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX If i was you treating doctor I would have asked you to use a cream containing one or more of the skin lightening ingredients like Glycolic acid, Hydroquinone, Kojic acid, Arbutin, Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate etc either alone or in combination. These products are safe to use even if used over long term because they are steroid free. Therefore I would advice you to stop Melanorm cream and switch over to the safer options which i have mentioned above. These creams are easily available on prescription of a dermatologist. They should be used under the supervision of a dermatologist. You can also avail Glycolic peel sessions (6-8) from a dermatologist. It would be effective for both acne scars as well as freckles You should also use a broad spectrum sunscreen, which offers both UVA and UVB protection throughout the day. Hope this answers your query take care regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for freckles and acne scars on face 16 hours later
thanks doc..It's been only 20 days since I am using Melanorm..So now if I swich over to some safer one,can I go for Dr.Batra's Clearz Plus containing Kojic Acid and Vit:C as it is the only available cream( in combination you have suggested) in my city.It would be a great help if you can suggest me the names of such creams so that I can arrange one somehow..
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Clearz Plus is fine. Detailed Answer: Hi. Clearz Plus by Dr. Reddy's is perfect. regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for freckles and acne scars on face 22 hours later
for how long I should use this cream Clearz Plus..I had used it earlier and found it very light..and also tell me one more it safe to use 50+ SPF lotion?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clearz Ultra Detailed Answer: Hi. I recommend my patients of freckles to use it daily, as a regular use cream. It has no contraindication. It contains 0.5% Kojic acid. If you find it lighter/milder then there is another cream Clearz ultra which contains 2% kojic acid. You may try the later one. SPF 50+ lotion affords broad spectrum sun protection against both UVA and UVB. It is absolutely safe to use. In fact it is recommended to use a broad spectrum sunscreen for you. regards