Suggest treatment for foreign object indejestion

Feb 2013

sir please advise me problem, sir my son 6 years old 40 hours before swallowed one staple pin , how to find out where is in stomach ?, x ray report in no detected in stapler pin, what i do ? tell me sir please, son is now alright , please u give your phone number sir,
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: observation, close follow up with doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Swallowed metal objects are usually seen on X rays if they are present within the body. But some times small objects like pins visibility on X rays may be obscured by artifacts and feces in the intestines. Swallowed small metal objects usually passed in stools within 24 to 48 hours of ingestion. In this case you may not see metal shadows on X ray if it is taken after this duration. There are chances of the staple pin to get struck in the mucosa of upper part of food pipe. In that situation you may not find on X ray. Therefore be in follow up with the Pediatrician and watch for symptoms such as vomitings, pain abdomen, distention of stomach, black or red stools, constipation. If the child develops any of these, report to the doctor immediately. If needed you can go for Gastroenterologist opinion. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.