Suggest treatment for footdrop in both legs

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My grandson has footdrop in both legs but no other symptons. He can run get off the floor and walk upstairs.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Described below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have read your query To help you better I would like to ask some detail history. How he developed foot drop? congenital? Or infection? Have he received any treatment prior? What are his current disabilities? You are concerned about most? He is using any brace/support? Waiting for your reply Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for footdrop in both legs 6 hours later
He appeared to be having problems lifting his right foot when walking about one year ago. Whilst waiting to see a physiotherapist it worsened and now it appears the other foot and leg now has problems. He walks on the outside of his left foot and his toes are curled under a little. He cannot go on his heels on either foot. My concern is that because his shin muscles are weakened I am scared it could end up being duchenne muscular dystrophy, because I have read a little about this disease. His calves are not enlarged and he can still run and go upstairs even though he is hampered a bit by the foot drop. We are waiting for a referral but in the meantime are very very worried about his condition especially the threat of it being duchenne md. he only has shoes fitted with insoles provided by the physiotherapist.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 33 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of cerebral palsy mild variety. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history there is possibility of cerebral palsy mild variety or muscular dystrophy. You may need investigate like CPK blood level, EMG-NCV [nerve conduction study]. I will advise to consult orthopaedic surgeon for clinical examination and further investigation. If there is tightness of tendo-achallis tendon then surgical release followed by brace and physiotherapy will help to improve deformity. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. If required you can use orthotic supportive brace like [Floor reaction orthotic] for improving walking. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.