Suggest treatment for food poisioning along with sunburn

my husband suddenly felt sick and had bad stomach cramps and nausea and he started to throw up repeatedly last least 8 times and then he got feverish. he was able to fall asleep. he woke up with diarrhea and a headache,,so he started having water all day and he took advil because he had fever. he was out in the sun the day before skiing and also got a really bed sunburn on his face on the same day this happened. when I just checked on him..he had a very red face and his lips were swollen. what do u think is going on?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Your husband is essentially having food poisioning along with sunburn. Both of the events are not related to each other. Since most of the food poisionings are viral in nature,they are self limiting and tend to become all right in 3-5 days. Treament required is plenty of oral fluids along with Advil or Tylenol for fever or headache. A proton pump inhibitor like PANTOPROZOLE 40 mg once a day in morning for few days can help in associated gas,acidity,bloating and nausea. For sunburn,treatment required is cool baths or cold compresses several times a day,plenty of oral fluids to prevent dehydration,application of moisturising cream or non prescription 1% hydrocortisone cream locally 2-3 times a day and taking Advil 2-3 times a day for couple of days. In my opinion,there is nothing to worry as everything shall settle in few days. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for food poisioning along with sunburn 12 hours later
the swollen lip is also part of the sunburn? its kind of looking like a monkey's lip..the part under the nose between the lip and nose is puffed up. Or is that from vomitting so much? he says he is achey around his stomach and that from throwing up, as well? probably in my experience. He also got a rash all around his body in spots during the episode last night..fever related? a couple of weeks ago he got a rash as well. Maybe this is a food allergy? Maybe to red wine? which is what he had before he started vomitting this time and the other time the rash happened he had red wine as well. He does say he is starting to feel better. thanks for reply, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 minutes later
Hello, Yes,this could be due to food allergy also. Backache is definitely due to repeated vomiting and shall be all right soon. For swollen lip,you can take Benadryl capsule. It is good that you are recovering now. Best of luck Thanks