Suggest treatment for flatulence and blood in stool?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Hello, I've been excessively gassy for almost a month and the gas is foul smelling and bowel habits the smell, color, consistency differs. Also recently a few days now i've had bright red blood in my stool. Also my mother has crohns disease. I'm panicking and thinking nothing but!
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Does not look to be a cancer. Detailed Answer: Hi. I would have liked to know the history of investigations and medications you might have gone through. Simply from the history there is more chance that you are suffering from an infection of intestinal tract. First of all I would like to advice you to take a proper course of an antibiotic and supportive medicines and since these are prescription based you need to visit a Doctor. I hope you will have a complete relief with the appropriate complete Course. If the symptoms still persist I would advise you to go through a battery of tests, which includes stool examination on three days, Routine blood tests including the one for blood sugar. These may guide the Doctor further and may give you another course. Failing all these you may need to undergo Colonoscopy,Ultrasonography and may be a contrast enhanced CT Scan of abdomen. There is no need to rush in. I would like to be systematic. We would like to know if you have any further queries and the follow-up. Wish you a speedy recovery.