Suggest treatment for fever with cold and blocked nose

My 5year old doctor has fever off and on for past 2 days. We started with crocin suspension and when temprature went to 104.8 F we gave her Meftal-P. Her temprature came down for few hours and then raised again, this has been happening for past 2 days. This is most likely a viral fever. She also has cold with nose blocked with mucus. We have been advised by our earlier family doctor to not give antibotic, since kids need to develop immune system. She also does not seem to have tonsils. Please advise what should we do. XXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing to us. I understand your concern. Most of fevers are viral in nature and takes few days to settle. Antibiotics are to be given only in case of bacterial infections. Continue with calpol every 4 to 6 hourly and for fever above 102 continue with meftal p 12hourly. Give plenty of fluids and soft bland diet so as to maintain hydration and nutrition. Use saline drops for blocked nose. Give steam inhalation. Use XXXXXXX leaves in boiled water with honey and few drops of lemon and ginger In case symptoms persist get her evaluated by pediatrician to see for any focus of infection and treat accordingly. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further Wishing your baby good health. God bless..
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever with cold and blocked nose 9 minutes later
Thanks Doctor She also has cough, what medicine to be applied for that. The cough is dry. secondly, how many ml of calpol and how many ml of meftal p should be given? Thirdly, if the fever is above 102 within 4 hours of meftalp should we still keep the calpol syrup? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. -for dry cough you can give cough formula with dextomethorphen with chlorpheneramine (like ascoril d 2.5 ml 3 times -dose of calpol is 15mg/kg body weight and meftal p is 4 to 6 mg/ kg. -after giving meftal p record temperature 4to 6hourly and in case it is above 100F give calpol. Hope this helps. Take care...
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever with cold and blocked nose 48 hours later
Hello Doctor one more problem, my kid is facing is acute ear pain. my doctor me to give crocin or otogesic ear drops 5ml. But the pain is not immediately reduced, what to do. This is a persistent problem. Is it linked to fever, or something else. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 7 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks again. Acute ear pain if not settled with calpol needs to be evaluated . Bacterial infection is common cause of ear pain and course of antibiotic is required. In the meantime continue with otogesic drops and give combination of ibuprofen with acetaminophen for pain relief. Hope this helps. Take care..