Suggest treatment for fever, headache and lymphadenopathy

Hello, I'm a 32 year old who recently contracted Coxsackie or so I'm told. I presented with fever, headache and lymphadenopathy and then about a day later a few sores popped up in my mouth and throat. I was advised to rest and take ibuprofen for the pain and it should go away in a few days. My concern is that it is day 3 soon to be 4 and my sores are worse. They have multiplied and now my gums are red and swollen. This is extremely painful and I'd like to know if there's anything else I should be doing. Also how long is this expected to last? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: give it three more days time to heal Detailed Answer: Hello madam, from the history you have given looks like it is a viral infection. Since there is no specific therapy for coxsackie , the treatment mainly would be supportive . It will probably take another 3-4 days for the things to settle down . I would suggest you to use chlorhexidine mouth wash for gargling thrice a day.also take bland soft food until your lesions subside. Ibuprofen can be taken for next two days. If it doesn't subside within next 4 days then please revisit your physician for further evaluation to rule out other infections . Wishing you speedy recovery. Regards Dr Vijay varma
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fever, headache and lymphadenopathy 34 minutes later
Ok thanks. I just wanted to make sure that it was ok that the sores keep getting worse. Between my gums, cheeks, throat and tongue, i have 12-15 sores now. If you think that it's typical than that makes me feel a little better .
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 30 hours later
Brief Answer: looks viral Detailed Answer: The presence of the sores is known to happen in viral infections . They are called aphthous ulcers. They will subside as the infection settles down . Having a bland diet would help them heal faster. Wish you speedy recovery. Regards Dr Vijay Varma