Suggest treatment for excessive bowel movements

Feb 2013

Hello Sir, I am XXXX. My kid XXXXXXX 2.5 years old is suffering from motions. motions are between normal and loose motions. She started passing 6 to 8 motions from 14th XXXXXXX Initially, we took her on15th to Padiatrician and he prescribed Oflaxacin 50mg 5ml and GNorm daily twice. But we dont see any improvement and took her to our regular Padiatrician on 19th when we came back from my home town. He prescribed Oflaxacin 50mg & Ornidazole 125mg 5ml and GNorm twice daily for 6 days. Even after three doses, there is no change in her position. Could you suggest how we can proceed with this? and please suggest food recommendations and food that should be avoided. Our padiatrician suggested : avoid Milk, wheat products biscuits, chapathi etc., But she is crying for Milk and does not want to take food unless Milk is given. We are also giving her ORS.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: stool testing, oral zinc, lactose free milk. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. I suggest you to continue the medication oflaxacin and ornidazole, gnorm sachets and ORS as prescribed by your regular Pediatrician. And in addition to the above medication, I suggest you to give oral zinc preparation for the duration of 2 weeks with the advice from Pediatrician. It helps to decrease the severity and duration of diarrhoea. And stool tests such as stool routine examination, stool for culture and sensitivity and stool for reducing substances will tell the cause for diarrhoea and will guide in the treatment. Coming to food, give rice based food preparations. If stool reducing substances are positive you can avoid milk. If she is insisting for milk you can give a lactose free milk formula after consulting with the doctor. You can give curd, butter milk in place of milk. And keep on giving ORS to maintain hydration. Monitor her hydration status by activity, urine output, skin turgor and moisture of tongue and oral cavity. Therefore I suggest you to consult the Pediatrician for ordering stool investigations and to prescribe oral zinc and a lactose free milk formula if loose stools are continuing. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. And thank you very much for contacting me on Healthcare Magic. Regards.