Suggest treatment for endometria cancer stage 2

At age 59 had grade 2 endometrial cancer confirmed by biopsy. Pelvic ultrasound showed thickness of endometrium but ovaries appeared healthy, no other growths except for old fibroid no other abnormal observations. Had DaVinci removal of uterus, ovaries and fallopians. Pathology of 5 internal biopsies showed no abnormal cells. The surgeon is a busy and ultra respected man with marginal patience. He left radiation up to me. Also said the stage of "my" cancer was "very angry". My heart and head reeled at the thought of radiating non-cancer flesh, so I said no to radiation. Two years later I'm fine and feel ok. Knowing he and staff were busy I did not fault curt answers and what seemed like veiled annoyance with ignorant peasants' like myself. I do have a business degree, and am well read for an American. The experience was necessary, but painful and I felt like one of many of this prima Dona's cows. Should I have pelvic exams, as there really aren't any reproductive organs. Do you have thoughts on my decision. Would appreciate frankness. Grateful for your time, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Radiation is for "preventive" purposes Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this endometria cancer. I am however happy because 2years after treatment, you are feeling great and strong. This shows that treatment was a success. I understand how frustrating it feels to have been treated in such a manner. We simply don't understand why others behave in such ways. What I can tell you is you can choose not to make it count by totally disregarding what ever transpired. Tell yourself he simply had a bad day and couldn't manage it otherwise. Clients need to understand the exact reasons for a procedure that costs so much and has far reaching side effects. Unfortunately, some colleagues never sit down to convey this vital piece to clients which is very important in making the decision to treat or not. It is no surprise you found very little reasons to carry on with his recommendations on radiation therapy. As part of the elite panel recommendation on the treatment of endometria cancer stage 2, radiation therapy is included. Clearly, this would be more helpful to persons who have positive lymph nodes than those who don't. Because a test often fails to identify all with possible lymph nodes involvement in this subgroup, radiotherapy is advised to cover up for any lapses. I am pretty sure if you had this information, you might have considered doing this but a doctor who would not sit and talk things right with you would most likely fail to get you on board on complex matters like this. I think it is a great idea to go in for a follow up visit. Though most organs were taken out, examination to look for any signs of possible cancer and the state of the vaginal would be helpful. Nothing suggest that radiation therapy would have added any significant benefit to you and more so because you are feeling great up to this time. But if you have taken it, it would have imply taken care of the unknown in case the diagnosis was missed on the biopsied lymph nodes. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more clarification or information if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.