Suggest treatment for ear infection

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have a 2-year old with an ear infection. He was put on Augmentin, but it didn't work, the infection came back as soon as we stopped the antibiotic (after a full course). Now he's been put on Cefdinir. I just gave him his third dose; he doesn't seem to be better; if anything it almost seems he's getting worse. How much longer should I wait until taking him back to the doctor's?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: please dont wait! Detailed Answer: Hello! I think cefdinir is also not working for your child as you have already given 3 doses , please meet your ent doctor again for changing it! I would also recommend that you ask him to take a ear swab of the pus for culture and sensitivity , so that we get to know what organism is causing the infection and what it is sensitive to, which will help us decide the correct antibiotic In addition i would also like you to ask your doctor to consider starting antibiotic ear drops , these are quiet useful. Please keep his ear dry and avoid any kind of water entry into it, as it will aggravate the discharge Hope he gets well soon Take care