Suggest treatment for dry lips

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Doctor. Am XXXX and currently put up in Bangalore. I have very red and dry lips. How to cure it.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cheilitis, Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of cheilitis I would like to gather some more information from you regarding your concern, in order to be able to help you better. --Since how long do you have dry, red lips? --Is it localised or does it involve the entire lip(s)? --Do you have any history of oral ulcers? Or Cold sores? --Can you please attach/upload a clear picture of the area of concer for me to be able to guide you better? --Are you on any oral medications (for a different condition)? Dry, red and cracked lips can be due to various general causes: --Climate change --Dehydration --Sun damage --Wind exposure --Smoking etc OR it can an indicator of or part of a disease or drug induced: --Oral aphthosis(oral ulcers) --Actinic keratosis --Discoid lupus erythematosus --Certain drugs like Isotretinoin for acne can cause cheilitis General measures to be followed: --Drink plenty of water (at least 8-10 glasses everyday) to keep the skin rehydrated from within --A Vit Supplement containing all the vitamins, mineral and nutrients in RDA can be taken once daily --A moisturising lip balm (preferably which has an SPF) can be used as frequently as possible. --If the lips are very dry and you feel discomfort even while smiling or talking, then i would recommend a topical moderately potent steroid once or twice daily for a week or so followed by regular use of a lip balm. take care regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dry lips 11 minutes later
Thanks for the quick reply Doc. --Since how long do you have dry, red lips? - going to be 1 year now --Is it localised or does it involve the entire lip(s)? - its not localised on complete lower lip. Its in centre area of the lower lips --Do you have any history of oral ulcers? Or Cold sores?- Yes i do get sometime the oral ulcers i.e. mouth ulcers --Can you please attach/upload a clear picture of the area of concer for me to be able to guide you better? -Attached --Are you on any oral medications (for a different condition)? - No Which moisturising lip balm should i go with? Also I have an habit of licking the lips.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of mucosal vitiligo Detailed Answer: Hi. I could see that the inner part of your lower lip is pinkish, though the picture is not very clear. I would keep a possibility of Mucosal vitiligo. In such a case i usually advice my patients to use a tacrolimus solution 0.01% twice daily over the affected area. Treatment is long term sometimes takes months to show response. If medical treatment fails surgical options are available like permanent tattoing and skin grafting. regards