Suggest treatment for dry eyes

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
I am having dry eyes problem. Please help. If i do the eye exercise water comes out.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need to use Artificial tears eye drops. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are told of being suffering from dry eye. Dry eye is because of either deficient secretion of the tears or because of excessive evaporation of the tears. The symptoms of dry eyes include dryness, foreign body sensation and grittiness of the eyes and these symptoms are worsened on exposure to dry environment, extensive viewing of television/computer... The treatment of the condition is by using artificial tears eye drops. The cause for watering during eye exercises can be because of decreased blinking during eye exercises. Please mention the type of eye exercises which cause watering so that I can mention the correct cause. As of now you can start using artificial tears eye drops. The treatment depends on the severity of the condition and artificial tear eye drops are sufficient in mild to moderate severe cases. If the symptoms wont subside then you require examination by eye doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment depending on the severity. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dry eyes 0 minute later
I am doing the exercise of looking at the pit of a pen without blinking and yes i am using something known as tear plus is that ok?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can continue tearplus eye drops. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up query. As I have mentioned earlier decreased blinking during the exercise is responsible for watering. The symptoms of dry eyes increase in conditions like exposure to dry environment, decreased blinking as during concentrating on the work as working with computer or watching television or during eye exercises in your case. The treatment you are using like tear plus eye drops is correct and you can increase the frequency of its use. If the symptoms are not decreasing with this eye drops then you can use refresh tears eye drops. The eye exercises are not required for dry eyes and if the symptoms are worsening then you can stop eye exercises till the dry eye condition improves. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Is it anything to worry about? I am getting worried

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to worry at all. Detailed Answer: Hello There is no need to worry. Dry eyes are one of the commomedt complaints seen in people visiting ophthalmologist. This can be treated effectively with eye drops, hence no need to worry. Along with eye drops you can follow following tips like Avoiding exposure to dry weather Avoiding use of air conditioner Washing the eyes twice or thrice a day Avoiding continuous use of computer or watching television especially without blinking. Use of artificial tears eye drops if required. With this your symptoms will be relieved and you will be fine. Hence no need to worry at all. Thank you

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dry eyes 2 hours later
Hi ISr just one last question , my eyes are red in parts , the wold eye is not red why? Is it strain?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Redness is because of conjunctival vessels. Detailed Answer: Hello The redness of the eyes is because of dilatation and congestion of the conjunctival vessels. In dry eye as there is irritation of the eye surface, hence the congestion is limited to some parts of the eye. Hence in dry eyes the eye appears red in patches because of dilatation of the conjunctival vessels in some quadrants. This will decrease with correction of dryness by using artificial tears eye drops. Thank you