Suggest treatment for dry and chapped skin

Jan 2014

i work in a daycare and im always washing my hands.. my fingertips are dry and i get cuts on my thumbs near my nail. the tips of my thumbs are extremly painful and some times the small cuts bleed. what cream can i use. i was told something with "urea". i also had artificial nails on but not anymore. my fingertips also seem alittle swollen.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Moisturizer+Topical Steroid (mix 1:1 and apply) Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX Extreme dryness can lead to chapping and cracking/fissuring of the skin of hands and feet. People who are atopic/allergic have a low water retentive capacity of the skin, which leads to increased trans-epidermal water loss into the atmosphere specially when the weather is dry and cold in winters. Repeated washing with soaps exacerbates the condition leading to painful cracks and fissures as is the case here. In such a situation it is advisable to apply a good moisturizer as frequently as possible. Moisturizers specially those which contain hygroscopic (attract water from the atmosphere and lock it into the skin) and keratoloytic agents like Ammonium lactate, Urea, Lactic acid and Glycerin and Hyaluronic acid are specially useful in such cases. Moisturizers should be applied as frequently as possible, and each time after washing hands with soap. I usually ask my patients who are severely affected by dry, scaly and cracked skin to mix (in equal proportions, 1:1) a potent topical steroid like clobetasol cream and moisturizer and apply at least twice daily. Once the condition improves with this combination, usually within 2-4 weeks, only moisturizers alone would suffice. Hope this helps you take care regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dry and chapped skin 5 hours later
I have used Spectro E-Care and i have PMS-Clobetasol .05%. Can i use these together? How often should i put it on and should i mix them together??
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Mix (1:1) and Apply Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes definitely, you can either mix in equal proportions and apply it twice daily OR you can also apply Spectra E-Care first and apply clobetasol cream over it after a gap of 15 mins, twice daily. regards