Suggest treatment for drug-induced constipation

Repeated question Best way to deal with constipation from LORTAB OR TRAMADOL.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No antidote to nullify drug-induced constipation Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. There is no antidote to nullify drug-induced constipation. Constipation will persist as long as the referred drugs are taken. Hence, standard/conventional treatment is required to relieve constipation. The safest way is to initially take a purgative (such as Lactulose or Liquid Paraffin syrup) till the bowels are clear and, thereafter; daily intake of Psyllium Husk/powder once or twice a day, will maintain bowel movements. Psyllium husk/powder is the safest way to overcome drugs-induced constipation. In addition, precautions that need to taken are :- liberal water intake daily and, high fiber diet consisting of lots of green leafy vegetables. Your doctor will prescribe the advised medication in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal