Suggest treatment for dog bite causing swelling inspite of using antibiotics

Hi, last week my pet dog bit my father's finger. We took tetanus and have taken 3 doses of anti-rabies injection. There are more injections scheduled. Currently my dad is on antibiotics, however there is swelling around the bite. Please advise
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem There is a chance of development of abscess as fingers make up a closed compartment so the chances of infection is increased but since you told me that your father is already taking antibiotics the chances of infection are less . When a wound is there so the inflammation is going on and that results in oedema surrounding that area that leads to the swelling around the area adjacent to the wound . In my opinion you should use some antibiotic ointment like povidone iodine ointment over the wound , it will be helpful in reducing the swelling around . Plus it will also subside on its own gradually . But in case it shows increasing trend over time abscess will need to be ruled out . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dog bite causing swelling inspite of using antibiotics 11 minutes later
Thanks doctor for the quick revert, we were applying beta dine ointment, however the consulting doctor suggested neosporin from today. He has also advised a change in the antibiotic tablets. Today is the 7th day after the dog bite, the dog is stable and had been vaccinated regularly. My father is not having pain however the swelling is not reducing. Do you suggest any other ointments?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Neosporin is good enough and since your treating doctor has already advised change of antibiotics , I hope that the swelling will go down very soon . I agree with the line of management your treating doctor is giving you . Dr. Shruti