Suggest treatment for disturbed sleep

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Hello doctor I am doing a lot better with 300 mg WellButrim. I can feel the change in mental health after this. My weight is having a downward shift. but sleep time is a challenge. I feel very active. I managed with some antihistamines 10 mg atarax (1/2) of it for sleep inducing. it makes me tired. continuing the cipralex 10 mg and rivotril .25 mg. overall, I feel better. Thanks
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Great! Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome back. I am delighted to know that you are not only better but also have lost some weight. Bupropion is an activating antidepressant and shakes off the lethargy that is often seen in depression. As such, it is possible for it to delay the onset of sleep at night. Some of this can be countered by shifting the dose of bupropion to as early as possible, in the morning. It shouldn't be a problem as bupropion can be taken with or without food. So if you take it early in the morning, maybe just after getting up, you are likely to notice an improvement in the sleep difficulty. You can continue to use Atarax if it is still required. One more thing that may help is doing some exercise in the evening, if you can find the time. A brisk walk for 15 to 30 minutes in the evening will not only accelerate your weight loss but also help you sleep better at night by making you slightly tired. Continue with bupropion, Cipralex and Rivotril till you feel absolutely fine. I expect you to be completely recovered in another month or so. Then we will think about reducing Cipralex from 10 mg to 7.5 mg per day. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry