Suggest treatment for diarrhea due to bowel inflammation

15 months ago I had a hitatis hernia operation (left with inability to burp) - immediately after appeared to contract indeterminate colitis. Treated with steroids which immediately resolved passage of blood and mucus. Maintenance dose of Pentasa (2mg daily) prescribed. Averaged 3 - 4 bowel motions daily with medium to soft stool. Over last month this has increased to up seven a day. Immodium initially worked for a few weeks. Now I can take 3 Immodium at say 7am and not suffer need to visit toilet by 4pm (during break I feel perfectly well and without IBD symptoms). Stools are now generally liquid. Occasional wet flatulence is experienced (never happened previously). Need arrives out of no-where and after briefly passing of significant gas (usually uncontrollable) passage of a motion is incredibly urgent. Once this happens I get 3 - 4 motions about an hour apart - some respite happens then need to visit toilet throughout night. What medications are available to reduce bowel motions and regain control (regularity). Current situation impacts on my ability to work.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Suggested to restart steroid therapy.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query carefully and understood your concerns. I am sorry for the situation you are in. Diarrhea you are experiencing is due to bowel inflammation. Furthermore, the fact that you go to the toilet at night is also a strong indicator for bowel inflammation. I strongly suggest to discuss with your gastroenterologist to increase pentasa doses and start corticosteroid treatment again with low maintenance doses (10-15 mg/day) for more than 6 weeks. I also suggest to do some other exams : - complete blood profile (to check for the leukocytes levels) - PCR - Endoscopy (to evaluate endoscopically your bowel condition) Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!