Suggest treatment for diaper rash

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I noticed four or five small, pimple-like bumps when I changed my daughter's (22 months) diaper. She does not show any "normal" diaper rash symptoms and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kunal Bhalla 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably they are Diaper rash Detailed Answer: Hi there. The pimples like bumps you are referring to are in most probability Diaper rash. They are very common in babies and are not due to parental neglect. They are mostly asymptomatic as in your childs case.....but you need to watch out for secondary bacterial and fungal infection. Look back onto any recent change in Diaper brand or powder or the use of any new material......and avoid its use. The best treatment for diaper rash is avoidance of the precipitating agents which led to the contact irritation and to regions becoming secondarily infected by skin bacteria or yeast. Step 1: Frequent diaper changes limit stool and urine exposure to the area. Frequent application of one diaper-area ointments containing either petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or zinc oxide (Desitin) with every diaper change will improve the condition. Step 2 : Should these measures not provide a solid response within two to three days, the possibility of a secondary bacterial or yeast infection must be considered. The diaper region should be examined by a pediatrician in such cases. Several topical antibiotic ointments are available for therapy in these situations. A doctor should also be consulted if your child gets fever along with the rash. I hope my advise has helped. Good luck