Suggest treatment for degenerative changes of the knee joint

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have severe patellofemoral compartment and mild medial and lateral compartment osteoarthritis,and also myxoid degenerative changes in the posterior horn of medial meniscus without definite meniscal tear appreciated,and also some suspect degeneration/degenerative tear of the root insertion of posterior horn of lateral meniscus.Cystic change posterior tibia,likely intraosseous ganglion cyst. This was reported by MRI. What treatment do you think is recommended ?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Degenerative changes of the knee. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Your MRI report is suggestive of degenerative changes of the knee joint that are age related changes due to wear and tear. There is no meniscal tear. The treatment depends on the severity of the pain and restriction of movement you are having. The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy. You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist. A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees. Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief. In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician. The ganglion cyst is a harmless benign cyst and needs no active treatment. Surgery may be considered if the medical management does not provide adequate relief. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for degenerative changes of the knee joint 25 hours later
No to Stair case,does this mean not using stairs.Going down stairs bother me,but not climbing up stairs. I need to lose weight also. Kneeling really while in church causes pain. Thank you,for your response.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Avoid using stairs. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. It is best to avoid using the stairs. Losing some weight will also help as knees are the main weight bearing joints. Avoid squatting or kneeling as this will be painful. You can get the appropriate medicines prescribed from your orthopedician. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for degenerative changes of the knee joint 13 hours later
Thank you for your response,however I forgot to ask what hot fomentation is? This the only remaining question I have. XXXX
Brief Answer: Application of moist heat. Detailed Answer: Hello. Hot fomentation is the application of hot moist substances to the knees to ease pain. You can use a hot water bottle or a towel dipped in hot water for this purpose. Regards.