Suggest treatment for dandruff,gray hair and hair fall

Jan 2014

Hi, I've a dandruff for a very long time. I tried all kind of anti dandruff shampoos but no gain. Now a days I'm getting more itching and that too If i didn't take head bath for one day also the itching is becoming more and more. Kindly provide a solution to over some this problem. Already my hair is Turning to gray and hair fall is also there. So kindly consider this case as well. Thanks XXXX
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Topical steroid lotion+Antidandruff shampoo Detailed Answer: Hello and Welcome to healthcaremagic I am Dr, Kakkar. I have gone through your concern and I have understood it. Seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff presents as scaling and itching of the scalp. Increased hair shedding is also a common complaint associated with seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff If I was your treating doctor I would have advised you to use a 2% ketoconazole based shampoo, thrice weekly, for 2-4 weeks followed by one or twice weekly for maintenance. However if in case this proves insufficient in providing relief from dandruff then I usually ask my patients to use a topical steroid lotion (Mometasone is available as a lotion formulation) at the scalp skin twice daily for 2 weeks and once the dandruff is controlled I usually stop it and ask my patients to continue with just antidandruff shampoo for maintenance(twice weekly). Coming to your second concern regarding premature graying of hair: Hair is said to gray prematurely when it occurs before the age of 20 in whites, 25 in Asians and before 30 in africans. Premature graying of hair occurs more commonly without any underlying pathology but is said to be mostly inherited. A role is postulated for environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, climate, smoking, drugs, trace elements, and nutritional deficiencies in the causation of premature graying. However, to date the exact etiology of premature graying has not been established. The color of hair mainly relies on the presence or absence of melanin pigment. It has been shown that gray hair has undergone a marked reduction in melanogenically active melanocytes in the hair follicle. Treatment modalities that are presently available and have efficacy are: --Calcium pantothenate and. --Para Aminobenzoic acid. With Para aminobenzoic acid (PABA) temporary hair darkening has been reported after ingestion of 100 mg three times daily. Darkening is obvious within 2–4 months of starting treatment. Even if it does'nt reverse the already white hairs into black, it can definitely arrest further progress. Similarly calcium pantothenate also arrests further progress of premature graying. It should also be taken in a dose of 200mg to 400mg per day. Preparations are available in the market on prescription of a dermatologist (e.g Vighan -CP marketed by Salve pharmaceuticals contains 200mg calcium pantothenate). Topical 1% Melitane is also claimed to reverse and arrest further premature graying of hair. It is available as a gel and needs to be applied once daily (2ml) at night at the roots. Hope this answers your query. regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dandruff,gray hair and hair fall 1 hour later
Hi Dr, Thanks for valuable reply. From your reply below terms are used. 1. 2% ketoconazole based shampoo 2. topical steroid lotion But I dont have much information on which shampoo is having 2% ketoconazole and lotion. Can you specify which one to take to have a good result. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Topical steroid lotion+Antidandruff shampoo Detailed Answer: Hi. Nizral is a popular antidandruff lotion/shampoo brand, which contains 2% ketoconazole and is marketed by Johnsons &johnsons in india. It can be used thrice weekly as a shampoo. Elocon lotion OR Momate lotion are some of the brand names, which contain mometasone in a topical lotion from and can be used twice daily at the scalp skin for rapid relied from dandruff. regards