Suggest treatment for dandruff

hi doc I hav concern for dandruff and my scalp has severe itching I had taken treatments for it keotoff and then iverne for it but still no change in condition. can you suggest me medicatiin for it plz and also I had a shiny long hair now its complete dry and dull.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Dandruff is a form of skin eczema involving basically the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. It can be caused by :- -Frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold, -Known to be caused by a yeast that lives on the skin called Malassezia furfur, -Severe stress, Some times an added infections of scalp are also seen most likely fungal infection there by causing itching. You need to avoid all the predisposing factors to reduce the recurrence. 1. Keep your scalp clean; wash your hair 5 times a week. A good home remedy would be to apply egg yolk and curd with a dash of lime over your scalp, leave for 20 minutes and then wash it off well. As a treatment you can use lotion of Selenium sulfide by the name Selsun. Also using shampoos containing anti fungal like Ketoconazole along with zinc pyrithione(ZPTO) help to treat and reduce the dandruff. 2. Avoid applying hair products especially the ones that has to be kept overnight. 3. Change your bed sheets frequently, at least once a week. 4. Do not share your comb. 5. Avoid eating oily food. 6. Protect your hair while travelling. Once the dandruff comes under control the shine and quality of hairs will improve as well. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dandruff 2 hours later
can I apply oil overnite and I hav severe itching plz suggest any medication and I wash my hair evry alternate days.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later
Brief Answer: mentioned below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can apply oil overnight. Do add camphor and lime juice to the coconut oil and apply it overnight to avoid the itching. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dandruff 1 hour later
thank you very much doctor
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards