Suggest treatment for dandruff in my eyebrows

Hi I am having dandruff in my eye brows from last 1-2 yeas. But now this has started spreading and i am having dandruff like flakes on my face as well. Its mostly on the upper face like near nose and mustache. I have started applying normal cold creame to mosit the face but this is not helping. Please guide if this is a major problem and is there any way to get rid of it.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seborrhoeic dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic. From your history and description, you seem to be having a condition called as seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a condition similar to dandruff on the scalp and is caused by the same yeast organism which causes dandruff. This yeast is a normal commensal on the skin and in some people, it overgrows to form colonies and scaling. You could benefit from the following - 1. You could take oral Itraconazole 100 mg twice a day for 5 days after food. 2. Use a shampoo containing 2% ketoconazole (eg- Scalpe lotion) on the scalp and the affected areas of the face. Use it on alternate days for 2-3 weeks initially. Keep the lather in contact with the scalp/ skin for 3-5 minutes and then rinse it off. After 2- 3 weeks, once the severity comes down, you should use it as a maintenance once a week so that the yeast does not overgrow for 3 months. 3. Do not oil your hair too much and avoid overnight oil application. If you do want to use oil, use it for 15-30 minutes before you shampoo your hair and thoroughly wash it off. With these measures, you will be able to control your problem. If you have any further queries, I will be glad to assist. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for dandruff in my eyebrows 14 minutes later
Thanks for answering my question. You have mentioned the chemical of shampoo and medicine. Please suggest few commercially avialable shampoo that contains the chemical you suggested and any recommened brand for the oral medicine. You said "you will be able to control your problem.". Does that mean i can not permanantly get rid of it and can only control it to some extent.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seborrhoeic dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I have given an example of the shampoo brand within brackets. You could use Scalpe lotion. Cap.Sporanox and Cap. Canditral are 2 brands of Itraconazole. These are usually prescription drugs and have to be prescribed by a dermatologist. Please get them prescribed by your doctor. Seborrhoeic dermatitis is caused by an yeast which is normally present on everyone's skin. This is called as a commensal. In some individuals, due to unknown reasons, it overgrows and that is when it shows outside as scaling and itchy lesions. That is the reason you can only " keep it under control". It usually disappears after a few years. But we cannot predict how many years it will take for it to completely disappear and it varies from individual to individual. I would also like to suggest you to apply a cream containing 1 % Desonide ( e.g. - Desowen cream) twice a day near your nose and mustache area for 10 days. This will give you immediate relief from the scaling. You can apply this after bath and at bedtime. I hope this answers your query. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko