Suggest treatment for coughing up pus despite taking Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been coughing up pus for 3-4 weeks. Went to clinic and was given antibiotic - Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium. Does not appear to help.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do gargles. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your problem. You should not loose heart and be positive. You should change antibiotics every weeks by discussing it with your doctor. You also have not mention dose and amount of antibiotics taken. As simply taking one or two antibiotics for 3-4 weeks is not going to help you. Do gargles with beta-dine in morning and at night. Avoid taking cold water, alcohol,cold drinks , ice-cream etc. You have not given history of fever, weight loss. If fever and wt loss and sweating are present you must get your sputum examination done to rule out Tuberculosis. I hope you have get your answer.You are welcome to ask any query. Thanks.