Suggest treatment for cough due to a post nasal drip

Hello, thank you for your email. I am getting over a cold and though my nose is not too congested any more, I have this cough that does not want to go away. Is there something over the counter that I can buy that will be helpful? thank you. The transaction reference is HCM46298
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Have ginger ale. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The cough that you have is due to a post nasal drip. If it is associated with pain in swallowing then bacterial infection or tonsillitis is suspected which needs an antibiotic treatment to subside. Right now you can take cough lozenges or some ginger ale to soothe the throat irritation. Put on the humidifier in your room. Having some steam inhalation with a few drops of Eucalyptus oil will also help to bring in relief. You can follow the following remedies: 1. Stay hydrated. Fluids can help reduce the dryness of the airway and help symptoms 2. Gargling with hot saltwater can help cleanse the throat. 3. Elevate your head with pillows at night to ease a chronic dry cough. 4. Do not smoke or use tobacco product. 5. Avoid inhaling irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants. 6. Ginger and balsam (tulsi) used in tea, also reduces dry cough. 7. Avoid hot and spicy foods In case the cough persists then a steroid inhaler will help in bringing relief. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL