Suggest treatment for continual buttox pain

Previously had sporadic muscle spasms to my right thigh. Recently have been suffering from continual buttox pain. Rarely, there has been lower back pain. I do spend a lot of time sitting due to my work environment. I'm 60 years old.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Choose to investigate depending on the severity... Detailed Answer: Hi, Muscle and joint pain is very common after 50 years. Abnormal posture, reduced bone mineralization, increased chances of injuries and many other factors would contribute to occurrence of pain. I would not be concerned if the pain is a dull ache, gradually resolving and is not associated with weakness / neurological deficits. You can choose to investigate with blood tests, X-rays and MRI scan if the pain is untolerable, limits your mobility and is associated with neurological complaints. Perhaps you can use over the counter pain killers for 2-3 days now to reassess the symptoms. That should help you decide whether or not you need to visit the doctor. Sporadic muscle spasm lasting for short period of time is generally benign that doesn't concern me. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards