Suggest treatment for continous fever, running nose, body ache and occassional headache

Hi, I am feeling feversih with runny nose and occassional headache and body ache. Had taken a cetrizine which cause sleepiness for a whole day. Next night i took a combiflam. Still the relief is short lived. Please advise Note: recently i was exposed to severe cold climate and got drenched in rain which i am not accustomed to
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from flu Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. You are apparently suffering from a common viral infection with consequent sinusitis. The symptoms usually last for 7-10 days. No antiviral drug is required and the treatment is primarily symptomatic. Therefore, you may take the following:- * Paracetamol 1000mg thrice daily for all aches and fever. * Levoceterizine 5mg twice daily. (All anti-histaminic drugs cause drowsiness. If you do not tolerate Levoceterizine, you can try Loratidine or Rupatidine). * Nasal decongestant spray four times daily (to facilitate outflow of sinus secretions) * Steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. * Saline gargles (at least 4 teaspoons of salt in a glass of warm water) to give relief from sore throat, if any. Avoid NSAIDs such as Combiflam, ibuprofen, Aceclofenac etc. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal