Suggest treatment for constipation

General Surgeon
Good Morning Doctor, My daughter is 2 years and 3 month old now. She weighs 15 kgs. A week ago she was facing constipation and was passing hard pebble like stools. My doctor prescribed Duphlac. I gave duplac for 2 dayss and she was passing stools. I stopped it the third day. To my suprise she wasnt eating well and started vomitting. She is not even taking milk which she likes so much. She passed little lose motions hence I gave her zeegut XXXXXXX Even then her vomitting has not stopped. She hasnt passed stool since yesterday. I am worried. I assume that she has stomach infection. Please advise a good medication which can immediately clear her stools as well stop her vomitting.
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly due to impacted stools Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXXXX Being a Parent myself I understand your concern and apprehension. In the absence of fever and Urinary complaints like increased frequency of urination and excessive crying while urinating, the cause of symptom could possibly be related to constipation. Constipation causes impaction of stools and the colon gets plugged and baby is not able to pass stools.(sometimes there could be distension of abdomen due to this). This could be the cause of not able to pass stools, there could be leakage of watery stools which are present above the impacted stools giving the feature of loose stools which in reality is not the case. I would suggest you the following 1. Have a look at the abdomen to look if it distended ( compare it with what you have observed when the baby was normal). 2. Dulcolax Pediatric Suppository: insert one suppository into the rectum through the anus . It will help in passage of stools. Once the baby passes stools, it should feel better and vomiting will subside on its own.If there is persistent vomiting then Suggest you to use Syrup Ondanseteron 2.5 ml one dose. If the baby does not pass stools or vomiting persists then would suggest you to seek professional advice preferably from a Pediatric Surgeon or Pediatrician . Do get back to me anytime if you need any further assistance or advice. Wishing your baby a speedy recovery. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 8 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, I couldnt see her like this, hence I gave her woodwards. She passed stools now and her stomach is normal now. Now should I continue zeegut and the syrup you gave for vomiitting. Please advise Sure doctor I will follow the same. How do I rule out ulcer or fissure?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need of giving syrup Detailed Answer: Dear Ms XXXXXXX There is no need of giving zeegut and syrup for vomiting. To prevent constipation in future, I would advise you the following 1. Ensure good intake of oral fluids. 2. Rule out any ulcer or fissure at anus opening 3. Avoid food stuff containing maida like biscuits, bread, cakes and puffs. 4. Avoid carbonated beverages like Pepsi and coke 5. Ensure good intake of high fiber diet : 1 serving of vegetable salad and one whole fruit a day will ensure it. 6. Avoid fruit juice: Fruit juice = water + sugar - vitamins - fiber. During the process vitamin and nutrients are lost. Instead give baby whole fruit with off course seeds removed Do write directly to me anytime you have any issue. I wish and pray it will never be required. Wishing your daughter a happy and healthy life. Take care God bless Regards Dr Deepak
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for constipation 7 minutes later
ok. Sure I will check . Thanks so much doctor
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 0 minute later
Brief Answer: Visual inspection will help Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Mr XXXXXXX Separate her buttock and have a look at anal opening looking for small cut like fissure ( it appears as a small tear and cut). If there is nothing then there is no cause for concern. Take care Madam Regards Deepak