Suggest treatment for constipation

I am constipated. I had major back surgery or 1/21 and have not had a bowel movement since. I have tried Miralax once and I am drinking it again. I also tried Dulcolax. I have not eaten much and I am on a catheter. What should I try next? XXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: How you been eating well? Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this difficulty passing stool. The desire to go to the toilet results from the presence of stool in the rectum. This requires good feeding with enough residues to elicit this reflex. Do you think you have been eating well enough to meet this condition? Because you report not eating much, that is the most likely problem. Also, do you have a distended stomach? Have you had any vomiting? Do you feel as to go to the toilet and stool but have difficulties? If these are absent, then there is no reason to get worried. Increase your feeding and all would be find. Miralax/ducolax would not be able to produce a bowel movement without appropriate feeding. If you should have vomiting, urge to stool but inability to, vomiting, then we need to look at other options. let me know where you stand precisely. We may need to be more careful. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.