Suggest treatment for constipation in a baby

Hi, My 3 month old baby has not pooped for 2 days, should i be worried? What should we give him so that he poops. Thanks XXXX
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not worry. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to health care magic. I can understand your concern. Do not worry. Is your baby exclusively breast fed or not? Is your baby accepting feeds normally or not? Is your baby active or not? You need not worry if your baby is accepting feeds normally and is active when awake. Breast fed babies may not pass stool daily. It is very much normal. You need not worry if there is a one odd episode of not passing stool for 3 or 4 days. Some times I come across worried mothers of babies not passing stool for 4 days or so. I only reassure them and they pass stool in a few days. Ask the mother to give more of foremilk (milk that comes at the beginning of breast feeding). Your baby will pass stool frequently with foremilk. If there are frequent episodes of infrequent passage of stool then your baby needs to be examined and investigated. Continue to ask further queries as required. Hope this helps. Take care. Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty M.D.(Pediatrics) Associate Professor of Pediatrics