Suggest treatment for constipation following colostomy

Hi am a colostomy patient. I cannot pass stool regularly. I can pass stool only if I take medicine. But I dont want to use medicines. Kindly suggest that how can my health condition be cured.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Answered Detailed Answer: Hi The constipation following colostomy may be due to - 1) The basic disease necessitating colostomy 2) The altered anatomy and nerve damage associated with colostomy The constipation following colostomy usually improves over time as the body physiology gets adjusted to the altered state. Till that time you need some medications like fibre supplements or osmotic laxatives to keep the gut moving. These medications are pretty safe and we donot see much side effects other than occasional bloating. Taking plents of liquids and fibre rich diet will also help Regards Dr XXXXXXX