Suggest treatment for consistent pelvic pressure and dull pain

Mar 2013
This question is for Dr. Raichie.we have chatted before regarding the possibility of an pelvic organ prolapse. I am scheduled for an pelvic ultrsound in a few days, however my gp does not feel that it will show anything. I have been having consistent pelvic pressure and dull pain repeatedly all week. My gp has yet to do a pelvic exam and blindedly ordered the ultrasound. Do you think I should wait for thr results of the ultrasound, or go back to him before then and ask for a gynecology referral?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Your symptoms are very consistent with those of a pelvic organ prolapse. An ultrasound is in no way diagnostic of prolapse. Only a thorough internal examination can pick up one. Get the ultrasound done anyway, as , the differential conditions would be ruled out ( any pathology in the left ovary or vault ). WIth the report, you could then have a gynecological referral, so that only the internal examination remains. Once that is done, and if it is normal, you wont be resent for an ultrasound at least. HOpe that makes sense. As such, prolapse is not an emergency. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.