Suggest treatment for cold

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Although I have symptoms of a bad cold, my body temperature is 94.7 to 95.4 by mouth and I just want to sleep, is this normal?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes it is normal. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Common cold is caused by a viral infection. The symptoms are usually self limiting and include running nose; feeling feverish and sleepy; headache; nasal congestion; soreness in the throat; watery eyes etc. The lowering of body temperature is due to the weakness associated with the infection. Symptomatic relief can be found with use of a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day for 3 days b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril c) Antihistamines / mast cell stabilizers. d) Avoiding dust and allergies e) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids. The symptoms usually subside in 4-5 days. In case the symptoms are not relieved or worsen then do consult your physician for stronger prescription medicines. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL