Suggest treatment for cold when undergoing chemotherapy

Hi Dr. my mom is 82 and has CLL. She successfully completed three cycles of chemo and just this past thursday, went for 2nd follow up and the dr said shes doing great. However, i guess she must've caught a cold while in the drs office as she now has a bad cough not awful since it just started today. while i wait for her oncologist to call me back, is there anything over the counter i should give her or home remedy? It sounds bronchial and im really hoping to tackle it.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: she needs prompt usage of good antibiotics Detailed Answer: hi XXXX I appreciate your concern for your mother. At her age, she has gone through chemos, which would clobber the immunity. she needs prompt usage of good antibiotics, even if it seems like viral flu as even a little infection can jeopardize her health due to immune suppression. Put her on amoxy clav 625 twice a day or azithromycin 500 once a day whichever is available over the counter before you get oncologist's service. hope this helped.