Suggest treatment for cold and loss of taste sense

ENT Specialist
Yes I have a very bad cold for two weeks and what has occurred is that I've lost all taste in my mouth for all foods
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The sense of smell is important to experience the flavor of food. 2. Loss of smell and taste is common after certain viral fevers and flu. 3. If you are not taking any medication, I recommend that you get yourself examined and supportive medication should be started to decrease the severity of the cold. This will help your sense of smell and taste recover. Routine medication includes anti-allergics, mucolytics, decongestants, steam inhalation and so on. 4. In the unlikely event that the symptoms persist after the cold has subsided, further investigations and medication (including steroids) may be necessary. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.