Suggest treatment for cold and ear pain

I have cold from last two days. I feel ear pain in my right ear a little and feel like ear got sensitive. I also can feel the difference is hearing from left year and right ear.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably middle ear inflammation... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Persistent nasal congestion will obstruct eustachian tube, a tube that connect ear to the throat. Pressure difference and fluid collections behind the ear drum secondary to obstructed eustachian tube is the most likely cause of ear ache and sound difference. In this circumstance I would first start steam inhalation 3-5 times every day. Besides steam, I will also advice that you use nasal decongestant such as oxymetazoline nasal spray (nasovion) at night. If pain is severe and not tolerable, adding any antinflammatory pain killer medicine is helpful. My personal choice amongst the pain killer is diclofenac sodium 50mg twice a day after food for couple of days. It is important to watch out for fever, worsening pain and ear discharge. Use of penicillin group of antibiotics is recommended in such cases. Your local doctor will know about this antibiotic. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for cold and ear pain 24 hours later
Thank you for your reply. M ears are getting fine but cough is increasing.....Please suggest me any anti-biotics
Answered by Dr. Prasad 38 hours later
Brief Answer: Antibiotic to be started only if needed... Detailed Answer: I apologize for the late reply, I was out of station without internet access. Now antibiotic drugs are not essential in treating all infections. You need to consider using them only if you have persistent high grade fever, ear ache and cough with sputum. Else it can be withheld. As far as cough is concerned, if it is severe and disturbing your daily activities, you can try Syp Tus Q 5ml three times a day. Drink warm fluids. Hope this helps you. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for cold and ear pain 13 hours later
Thank you for the reply.... Cough is getting better day by day... There is no fever but I feel very sensitive when I go into sun and feel weak. I think that is because of cold.... Is it or there could be any other reason?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer: It's after effect of infection... Detailed Answer: Hi, The symptoms you describe is common after flu infection. We describe the generalised weakness and lethargy after flu infection as post viral syndrome. Drink plenty of fluids and consume fruits and vegetables. If needed, you may also start zincovit tablets (multivitamins), it should make you feel better. I wish you a speedy recovery. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions. Regards