Suggest treatment for cold and cough

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi Sir / Madam, This is XXXX from Gurgaon, Haryana suffering from Cold (Cough) from last 2 weeks, so you are requested to please advice, how can cure for this coughing. Thank you
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer: need more details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX . Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and cough with duration needs following clarifications from your side. 1. Is cough dry or productive in nature, what is the frequency (day or night) and color of sputum (if there )? 2. any associated addiction, particularly smoking, taking spicy/sour food? 3. is cough associated with features like weight loss, reduced appetite, fever? 4. Since most cough in general practice are due to common cold but since duration is 2 weeks, was general physician examination carried out in between snd was Chest x ray taken to rule out any lung pathology? 5. what were the medicine (s) taken [if any] to avoid any drug-drug interaction? 6. do revert bsck with following concerns so that Ayurveda dietary regime and Medicine can be initialized. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for cold and cough 22 minutes later
Dear Sir, Pls note my reply as given below: 1. Cough are productive in nature and the frequency is basically in day time and color of cough is white as normal. 2. Yes sometime I have taken spicy food and there is nothing any bad habbit like smoking, etc. 3. Yes cough qty is very low (weight loss) and nothing fever. Coughing comes after throating the inner site of neck 4. No, I have not checked with any Doctor. 5. I have taken Sinarest and one antibiotic (Forget the name) before 4-5 days back. Coughing comes after throating in neck and except this there is nothing any problem. Please Dr. check my answer and advice. Thanks & Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Examination & Preventive Aspect Detailed Answer: 1. i. since cough is productive which means there is LRTI (lower respiratory tract infection) ii. since bronchial secretions tends to accumulate during night thus problem is in day time and moreover person is more exposed to dust, dirt, fumes during the day time. iii. since color of sputum is white which means cough is not allergic (yellow) and pathology is limited to common cold (unless proved otherwise) 2. i. Avoid: deep fried food ( samosa, pakoda, chips, idli), sour fruits ( mosambi, oranges, green grapes, lemon, shrikhand), protect neck area while riding bike, travelling in bus/car with open window panes,cold water, rice and milk at night. ii. Take: lukewarm water with honey for gargles,moong/arhar dal, mulethi, laung, old brown rice, chapatti with no oil, papaya, black grapes. 3. have a Physician check up to rule out any underlying/hidden cause with relevant investigations. 4. Prescription medicines for you are: kas amrit syrup, sitopladi churan, tankan bhasm, khadiradi vati.