Suggest treatment for clostridium difficile colitis

I have c-diff, One Dr tell's me to take Flagyl and another Vancomycin, I've had c-diff about 3 weeks, am I on the right track ? It seem's Vancomycin gives me more diahrrea. Could this be just me ? also I need to know what food's are best for me?
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: vancomycin is best Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Clostridium difficile colitis (inflammation of the intestines) results from disturbance of the normal bacteria in the colon, colonisation of the intestines by clostridium dificile and the release of toxins that cause inflammation and damage. The infection can be mild or severe. In more severe cases, vancomycin is preferred over metronidazole. The reason for this is that compared to metronidazole there is normally faster resolution and a lower risk of recurrence. Vancomycin is not absorbed and acts directly at the infection site. It is normally used for up to 2 weeks. Everyone responds differently to medication so if you cannot tolerate the vancomycin you can use the metronidazole instead. In terms of possible recurrence of infection, this can actually occur in 20 to 27 % of persons. If it is going to happen , it occurs 3 days to 3 weeks after the antibiotics are completed. As regards to diet, the most important aspect is maintaining your fluid volume to prevent dehydration. There are oral rehydration fluids available but you can also use diluted fruit juices/flavored sodas. Food- there are no specific recommendations for this infection but in general boiled starches and cereals (eg potatoes, rice, wheat, oats) with salt are recommended for persons with watery diarrhoea. Crackers, bananas, soup, boiled vegetables may also be used. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions