Suggest treatment for chest pain from codtocondritis

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I have chronic severe chest pain from codtocondritis. I have had a bone scan, chest X-ray, full blood work and do weekly intense accupuncture... Nothing shows or helps Have tried anti inflammatory meds (naproxen and arthrotec) and oxycodone and none offer pain relief. It used to be a semi annual occurrence now it's become chronic...I have had it everyday except for four days since December and 8 occurrences in the fall each lasting 5-7 days. I am investigating seeing a pain specialist for botox you know of any other options/avenues I could try as this is very debilitating. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Other options could be- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Your case of costochondritis seems to be refractory. It can be treated with local injections of combined lidocaine (Xylocaine)/corticosteroid into costochondral areas. If still there is no response to medical therapy, surgical removal of the sore cartilage may be required . I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for chest pain from codtocondritis 50 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. What type of specialist do you recommend I see? I am not getting any helpful direction from my GP so I am having to self direct my care to try and find a solution. I have seen a rheumatologist with no success/ results. Have you personally seen long term pain relief with the injection solution?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to consult an orthopaedician. Detailed Answer: Hi, You need to consult an orthopaedician.In my clinical practice I have seen my patient having good long term pain relief with local injections of combined lidocaine (Xylocaine)/corticosteroid in refractory cases. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service. Wishing you speedy recovery.....