Suggest treatment for cellulitis on leg

Jan 2014

I was advised I have stasis dermatitis on both shins. Every once in a while it exacerbates to where I get water blisters that, if broken, which happens if I am in the tub too long or I bump/scrape my leg, get crusty. I am otherwise healthy, with normal BP, no COPE, CHF, liver or kidney problems and low cholesterol. I do not have diabetes. I am obese but can't find TED hose to fit a 21" calf so I use Ace wrap, which helps. I have the following medications on hand from previous conditions/infections: Aristocort .02 (for a prior skin infections), Clortrimazole and Betamethasone (for yeast infection under arms), a corticosteroid cream, oral antibiotics and antibiotic cream, antibiotic cream and Mupurocin 2%/ I am hoping one or more of these might be used to treat this. My financial situation precludes me from going to specialists and or invasive surgery (which would keep me from work) and I am hoping you can provide a work-around for this condition.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis, Oral antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM Looking at the picture, your leg seems to have Cellulitis, which is bacterial infection of the skin, subcutaneous tissue and fascia. It is swollen, red and the surface shows crusting. Minor trauma or cracks/breaks in the skin provide a portal of entry for the bacteria. Stasis dermatitis predisposes to infection. If i was your treating doctor i would have advised an oral antibiotic for a week (preferable penicillin group e.g Amoxicillin in combination with clavulanic acid, 625 mg thrice daily for a week). A topical antibacterial/antibiotic like 2% mupirocin can be applied at the site of blisters or oozing or cracks. An OTC painkiller like ibuprofen twice or thrice would help you with the pain part. This should make it fine within a week regards take care
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for cellulitis on leg 2 days later
Mupirocin has worked minimally, and I am taking Amoxicillin 500mg. The blisters have stopped oozing. Please advise if I can apply Aristocort .02% ointment, which I was prescribed last year in Pennsylvania for the stasis dermatitis (prior to any cellulitis).
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Continue with Amox and mupirocin only Detailed Answer: Hi. Continue with Amoxycillin 500mg thrice daily for a week to 10 days. Aristocrat 0.02% is a steroid and should be avoided till the cellulitis resolves. Instead apply 2% mupirocin at any oozing or cuts/breaks in skin. It might not act as good as oral antibiotic, but it will definitely prevent new infection from entering through the cuts or breaks in the skin. Get well soon regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for cellulitis on leg 7 hours later
What will be the indications that the cellulitis is cleared up? I assume the redness will be gone... what else?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis Detailed Answer: Hi. Cellulitis presents with the following signs and symptoms: redness, swelling/edema, pain, oozing and fever which are all signs and symptoms of inflammation. Once the cellulitis starts resolving you will notice that the redness, pain, swelling/edema would decrease gradually and the oozing would dry up, usually within 7-10 days while on oral antibiotics Get well soon take care regards