Suggest treatment for bruise on hip caused by injury
User rating for this question
My 56 yr old girlfriend, with a history of hip bursa problems, fell and hit the edge of the coffee table on her hip. She now (an hour later) has a lump the size of half an orange on that hip. She hobbled to the bed by walking unassisted on tiptoe but is in great pain. We're icing it now. Suggestions?She wants very much to avoid the emergency room or a hospital if possible. She has pain meds around (Lortab and Advil) prescribed by her doc for her back and other hip problems. If this is just a bad bruise and ice is really all that can be done, fine. She just doesn't want to pay $1000 to be told that.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: If she is able to walk then you can wait. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Traumatic injury can lead to bruise due to hematoma formation. Due to blunt injury there can be hematoma collection .The bleeding that occurs result in hematoma collection. Over a period of time, as hematoma resolves it cause local skin symptoms around the hematoma. Continue ice application, and thrombhophobe ointment may help and take rest. If she is able to walk then you can wait and take routine appointment of doctor instead of emergency. If she is not able to walk and pain and swelling is increasing, you need to go to emergency. You may need X ray of hip to see for any bony injury. For these symptoms analgesic and anti-inflammatory medication can be started. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for bruise on hip caused by injury 51 minutes later
Thank you. We'll use ice and ibuprofen and see how things look tomorrow. These things always happen on Sunday night of a holiday weekend.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Take care.
People also viewed
- Treatment and cure for bruised injuries
- Will rotten tooth cause my neck to spasm
- My knees hurt and my legs feel fat
- Knee brace causes ankle swelling
- Suggest treatment for paiful bruise caused after leg injury
- When we see blood pressure as high will it be 180 120
- Leg numbness while having bowel movements
- Very stiff legs no pain
- Viral affect menstrual
- Bruises on ribs no injury dark discoloration causes and treatment
- Drained yellow fluid from knee
- Why does my pee smell burnt
- Suggest treatment for bruise on tail bone after an injury
- Why do i wake up with a pounding headache
- Suggest treatment for bruise on hip caused by injury