Suggest treatment for broken shoulder bone

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
Hello, My son fell in P.E. his shoulder has been bothering him he has complained of pain and it hurting a lot when he tries to raise his arm. As you can see in the picture it is bruised snd swollen on his shoulder and around his clavicle. I went a purchased him a sling. Do you think that this will be sufficient enough for it to heal on its own?hat if it is broken? what would be the treatment for that?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for broken shoulder bone 1 hour later
what if it is broken? what would be the treatment for that?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it will be difficult to tell you that whether it will heal on its own or not . There is a high probabilty of having hairline fractures specially in children after minor injury also which cannot be excluded until an X ray of shoulder is done . If it comes clear then it is possible that your child is just having soft tissue injury then even he will require anti inflalmmatory drugs . In my opinion you should see an orthopaedic surgeon as soon as possible . Its good that you are making him wear a sling but still extent of injury needs to be determined so that child does not suffer . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for broken shoulder bone 2 minutes later
What if it is broken, what would be the treatment for that? I was told by a family member that there is nothing that can be done for a broken clavicle. That if I took him to the ER they would just give him a sling. Is this true?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, They will provide a figure of 8 Bandage or splint for that but it needs to be seen if fracture is there or not . And if shoulder is involved or not plus soft tissue injury needs to be seen . Dr. Shruti