Suggest treatment for bowel incontinance

I'm 84 and have MS. I have very occasionally had bowel incontinance in recent years but have been able to manage it with diet,etc. However, 6 days ago my stools became very soft wth some mucus but not quite diarrhetic . They remain that way and I struggle with incontinance dispite diet change efforts. For what it's worth, I have been quite stressed out in recent months. Your toughts please.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Stool analysis are needed for further evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. First, let me congratulate for the efforts and for succeeding to manage incontinence. Now, if you have noticed changes in your bowel movements (mucus, very soft stool but not diarrhea) recently, then, I'd suggest to : - run stool analysis (especially looking for leukocytes) - run culture of the stool for bacteria/fungus overgrowth - do abdominal ultrasound Depending on the stool analysis, further treatment will be prescribed. If everything will result normal, then, it might be related to - changes in your diet - any common viral infection you might have been experienced recently - being stressed out recently I'd advise to keep on following diet changes to control bowel incontinence and to try to control stress as much as you can. Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida