Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment for blocked salivary gland duct

Hi, i think i have multi blocked salvia ducts, 1 under my tongue, two in my cheeks in the same position on each side. What would normally cause more than duct to block at the same time? i suffered with dry mouth for a couple weeks but now i seem ok but the ducts still appear swollen. any advice?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Get a checkup and x-ray done. Detailed Answer: Hello, Blockage of salivary gland duct usually occurs secondary to stone formation also known as Sialolithaisis, this is more common in the floor of the mouth due to blockage of submandibular gland duct. Perhaps increased calcium level in saliva has caused calculus which block the salivary gland duct. Other factors contributing to this condition are dehydration, use of certain medications like blood pressure, psychaitric drugs, drugs for bladder. Further any type of trauma to the duct as well as bacterial and viral infection can also cause blockage and swelling. Now, a detailed examination and evaluation by the Dentist is required in addition to x-ray and ultrasound of the region may be to confirm the cause. I would urge you to discuss with your treating doctor about these tests. Meanwhile you perform the following measures at home; - Sucking lemon or sour candy that stimulate the saliva will be beneficial. - Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash gargles. - Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. - Take a course of antibiotics if the salivary stones have caused infection. Hope you find this as informative and helpful, Wishing you a healthy recovery! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for blocked salivary gland duct 42 hours later
they arent really getting worse or causing me any pain. They might be slightly bigger after i have eaten but im not 100% sure on that. Is there an easy way i can tell if they are swollen saliva glands or chronic ulcers? im guessing they are saliva glands because they are in exactly the same position on each side of my mouth. I will get them checked out by a ENT doc or dentist as soon as possible but in the mean time i would appreciate your input. regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 41 hours later
Brief Answer: Its likely a salivary gland swelling, Detailed Answer: Hello there, It would be extremely hard to confirm if you have a salivary gland swelling or an ulcer or any other pathology without direct clinical examination. But going by the position, it points more towards salivary gland swelling. You should visit a Dentist for detailed examination and evaluation. At home take lemon, sour candies that will cause salivary secretion, take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses. Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.