Suggest treatment for bloating and constipation

ENT Specialist
I feel bloated all the time. It's worst when I consume caffeine, fatty foods, latose, certain fruits, the usual gas-causing foods, but I still get bloated a little without consuming these foods. Weird thing is that masturbating or getting anxious also majorly contributes to bloating. The part that I'm worried about most is that the bloating is accompanied by poor circulation, apnea, and chronic fatigue. I took fiber supplements everyday for about 2 weeks now and they alleviate the symptoms but not that much. They help me with my constipation but not my bloating. If I don't take these fibre supplements I don't have bowel movements for as long as a week. With them, I now have one everyday. In highschool, which is 5 years ago, my bloating got so bad that I would need to pant for air and occasionally have "1 second faints" from lack of oxygen reaching the brain. Is it normal for bloating to interfere with circulation? My skin is dark around my eyes, and my eyes get tired easily. The poor circulation also causes headaches. When I lie down to go to sleep the food in my body creeps up to my thoracic area and I wake up in the middle of the night with chest pain near the heart. When I lie on my right side the pain is somewhat gone, but worst when I lie on my left side. I am asian, male, 23 years old, about 175cm tall (just less than 6 ft i think?) and 125 lbs. It is also very hard for me to gain weight. I went to my family doctor and he just said it's IBS. He did a blood test for bacterial infection and found helicobacter (something like that) and gave me antibiotics for that. Symptoms remained unchanged. Please help me. I'm looking to study to become a doctor but this issue is preventing me from concentrating on my studies. The family doctor also sent me to do an ultrasound and found nothing. He then referred me to a gastroentologist who did an endoscopy and said that my symptoms should go away with bowel movements. I gave up on hospitals and don't know what to do.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Relaxation exercises, high fibre diet Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. You have less of bowel movement and that can lead to such symptoms. Avoiding refined foods and taking of high fibre diet improves the things. Other than taking high fibre dietary supplements, please start using coarse grains as routine diet and this will improve the things in long run. Please discuss with your doctor regarding the use of clinidium bromide with chlordiazepoxide tablet as this helps in such symptoms. Also go for some yoga or relaxation exercises and this helps in long run in your other general symptoms. For your reflux related symptoms, use of proton pump inhibitors does help. Also, please reduce the volume of your each meal ad break your three meals in to four as nibbling helps and also reduces the volume of your stomach contents at any given time and this reduces symptoms. As your endoscopy is fine, there is nothing to worry on that front. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for bloating and constipation 17 hours later
I'm not sure what you mean by "coarse grains". Could you give me some examples?Right now I'm blending psyllium fibre cereal and spinach/parsley (I heard chlorophyll is good for the healing of intestines) in water to drink once a day. "Fibre supplements" was a bit misleading on my part but I thought it would be simpler to explain it that way.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: multigrain/bran bread, wheat flour with husk Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for query. By coarse grain I mean use of multigrain/bran bread, use of wheat flour from which husk has not been removed. What you are using is also good, but what I wanted to convey was that instead of using something special as diet, use something as a routine part of your diet just by including non-refined or less refined less processed things in your routine diet and this helps. Please feel free to ask another query. Regards