Suggest treatment for bladder spasms and frequent urination

Question
Yes sir. I am a pharmacist who 3 weeks ago was diagnosed with a UTI, had a fever of 102 and a WBC of 14,000. The urine cultured an ESBL strain of E coli resistant to the Bactrim I was given, so I just finished a round of Augmentin. Problem is, I am experiencing what feels like bladder spasms and frequent urination; a repeat UA last week was clear. I am a 64- YOF. Could these symptoms be a residual effect of the UTI? I never get sick. I do have a spinal cord stimulator for piriformis muscle pain that was placed on March 31. Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX Piltz
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
could be recurrence

Detailed Answer:

if the antibiogram reported an MIC lower than 2mcg/mL for amoxicillin-clavulanate then treatment with augmentin can be effective. Otherwise there is some risk of treatment failure. Since you're having symptoms a recurrence is possible. Please define 'clear' regarding your urinalysis. Were there any white blood cells? Nitrates? Anything else? A negative urinalysis or culture does not exclude infection when you're receiving antibiotics.

So in conclusion, it could be recurrence. I would suggest doing an ultrasound scan of the urinary tract to exclude other potential causes (like obstruction for example) and to consider alternative treatment measures like nitrofurantoin or fosfomycin. Remember to ask your doctor before trying anything!

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!